CHINA: Developments on Permanent Residence Permit for Skilled Workforce

It has been announced by The Ministry of Public Security in China that migrants who are currently employed in certain industries will soon be able to apply for Permanent Residence.
The objective of the new system is to encourage more highly skilled and top-level foreign professionals to move to China. 
Those wishing to apply for the Chinese Permanent Residence Permit must have been working in China for at least 4 years with a clean tax record. They must also have high professional or above associate professor titles.
The foreign applicant can only file their application at the municipal level security departments where the applicant is currently residing. Once obtained, a Permanent Residence Permit holder can take advantage to a number of new rights such as property purchase, enrolment into local schools etc. 
The industries in which migrants will be able to then apply for Permanent Residence include:
  • National Laboratories

  • National Key Laboratories

  • National Engineering Laboratories

  • National Engineering Research Center

  • National Engineering and Technology Research Center

  • Technology Center of State-Accredited High-Tech Companies

  • Foreign-funded R&D Center 

This new policy has yet to be implemented officially and no further application details are available at this time. Further updates will follow once any new developments occur.  
 Should you need any information or advice regarding Chinese immigration, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Contact Newland Chase