Hoping to extend your visa on the basis of family or private life?

The UKBA posted a reminder recently which highlights the fact that any UK visa holders who wish to extend their stay on the basis of family or private life, must now apply for an extension under one of the family or partner routes.

Since the 9th July 2012, the UKBA will no longer consider applications made on the basis of family or private life under any other categories which include:

• Tier 1 (Exceptional talent)
• Tier 1 (Entrepreneur);
•  Tier 1 (Investor);
• Tier 1 (General);
• Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur);
• Ter 2 (General);
• Tier 2 (Minister of religion);
• Tier 2 (Sportsperson);
• Tier 2 (Intra company transfer);
• Tier 4 (General);
• Tier 4 (Child);
• Tier 5 (Temporary worker – creative and sporting);
• Tier 5 (Temporary worker – charity workers);
• Tier 5 (Temporary worker – religious workers);
• Tier 5 (Temporary worker – government authorised exchange);
• Tier 5 (Temporary worker – international agreement); or
• Tier 5 (Youth mobility scheme).

To ensure your application is considered on this basis you must apply under the correct route and use the appropriate application form:

•     FLR(M) for the 5-year partner or parent route;
•     FLR(O) for the 10-year partner or parent route; and
•     FLR(O) for the 10-year private life route.

Since the requirements which must be met for all such applications have been significantly tightened since the 9th July, we would recommend ensuring you are up to date with all the criteria that must be satisfied before you start assembling any application.

If you need any help or advice on this topic then please contact us.


Contact Newland Chase