The UKBA has announced visa concessions for Syrian nationals with temporary permission to stay in the UK.
UKBA advise; “If you are a Syrian national and your permission to stay in the UK (leave to remain) is about to expire, or has expired in the last 28 days, and you wish to stay in the UK there are now some new options available to you.”
It is important to note, however, that any concessions granted will apply only until the 15th March 2013.
- Syrian nationals in possession of a visa which is valid for a limited period can ask for this to be extended for the same length of time as granted under the original visa.
- For example, if you have a 6 month visit visa you may be given permission to stay for a further 6 months.
In-country switching applications
Normally, non-EEA nationals must leave the UK to effect a switch into another visa category. However, under the temporary rules Syrian nationals may apply to switch visa categories from inside the UK.
Please note the following:
- It will not be possible to switch into any settlement routes.
- You must apply while your current visa is valid or within 28 days of it expiring and pay the correct fee applicable for that route.
- You must meet the requirements of the category which you are applying to switch into.
- If there are any documents which you would normally be expected to provide, but you cannot because of the conflict in Syria, then you should explain why in your application.
- Syrian nationals are also advised to continue to monitor the travel advice to Syria, and make arrangements to return only when it is safe to do so.